Oscar Jacobson Case Study

Oscar Jacobson run an e-commerce website selling their premium collection of men’s golf clothing and accessories. Although a well established name in the world of golf, we worked with the team to increase sales by 153% in the first 3 months through a completely new paid media strategy.

Prior to working with them, they’d been running Google ads for a few months due to sparked interest through the national lockdown. This was an initial automated campaign generated to capture some early sales and data in order to scope out the market with relatively little time required to manage. The campaign was set to maximise clicks within budget and largely resulted in branded searches fueling performance. It was also close to maximum impression share so didn’t have much more room to push. Having said that, the first few months were turning over a healthy ROAS and highlighted the potential value in growing the account.


Why we were consulted:

We were consulted to estimate the potential growth if we expanded beyond an automated brand campaign. The client wanted to know how much more revenue we could drive in October while maintaining similar levels of efficiency in ROAS and CVR.

There were several unique factors to consider going into their 4th month of activity. Most importantly being inconsistent consumer trends as a result of regularly adapting to COVID-19. Whether it be changing tiers or national lockdown we had to weigh these expectations up with seasonal changes and sales events. Moving from Summer to Autumn their sales were going to move from polo shirts and golf shorts to jackets and waterproof trousers. They were also going to see benefit from Black Friday after October payday but possibly some reserved spending before then.

Lastly, there was a desire to grow new users rather than relying too heavily on returning who may have purchased via the direct or organic channels anyway.

What we did:

Taking on the account our first action was to expand the keyword targeting to cover most of the Autumn range of products. However, we wanted to take advantage of the learnings to date. In this we were able to narrow the spend down to specific time ranges, devices, age groups and locations that previously displayed a higher level of intent to buy.

We also added golf related affinity and in-market audiences and created 3 ads for every ad group with a tailored first headline and a split tested third headline as an initial test. The plan being that we build a much larger account with solid foundations of which to switch over to automated bid strategies.

An initial challenge was that the original brand campaign was automated to deliver maximum clicks within budget. No conversion points were being tracked and so there was no ability to automate towards sales or revenue goals. We knew there was a lot of new elements that needed adding to the account, but we also knew that with no historical data we’d be having an unstable start. To combat this, we balanced the budget between our new campaigns and the old campaigns initially in order to smooth the transition.

We also knew the account had a lull period as you got further from the latest pay day. As many companies pay out wages either on the 26th, the last Friday or the last day of the month, we knew to expect a rise in sales from the 26th all the way through to roughly the 6th or 7th. However, we were in a unique position that November and December wouldn’t really suffer too much of a lull mid-month due to their sales events.

The new campaigns added were a branded and non-branded version of each product type they had on site. We also split the campaigns by Broad and Exact to enable us to have more budget control over specific searches. Additionally, we tested Smart Display and Smart Shopping campaigns working towards a target ROAS strategy just under the average for the account so far.

As we progressed through the month it appeared that the original campaign was declining in CVR and ROAS and so we were able to move this budget into our campaigns. We also noticed certain generic products were encouraging but weren’t performing quickly enough in the first month. And with strict targets we would have to return to them at a later date. This mostly left Shopping, Brand and our Jacket campaigns.

Our Results:

In our first month with Oscar Jacobson we helped deliver the following results:


growth in
sales MoM


growth in
revenue MoM


growth in
sessions MoM


growth in
new users MoM

This was a positive start to the work we’re doing with Oscar Jacobson and gives us some solid foundations to build upon. With all our new targeting gathering a months’ worth of data we now know where to invest more budget and where to trim based on performance at the most granular level.

If you’d like us to take a look over your paid media activity and discuss how we could help drive performance forward then please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Let's see how we can help you achieve better results

Get in Touch